Saturday, October 20, 2007

If At First You Don't Succeed....

Yesterday I went to the Brazilian consulate on embassy row to apply for a visa. I brought all the necessary paper work, along with my passport, two small photos, and a postal money order for $100 (all this to see some swamp land for a week). After waiting 45 minutes for my number to be called, I gathered everything and headed up to the service window. Everything seemed to progress smoothly until the clerk looked over my itinerary. This was a print out of my flight schedule. She asked where the info for Brazil was. I told her I didn't know exactly what date I would be entering or leaving Brazil; I just plan to take a bus in from Bolivia at some point and then take a bus out to Argentina when I was ready to go.

Not the right answer. Apparently I have to show proof of arrival and departure; a plane ticket, a tour schedule, anything. They want to make sure I'm not slipping into the country looking for work. Right. She suggested I get the visa at their consulate in Bolivia, but I stil wouldn't have my bus ticket out of Brazil. The only alternative is to show a bank statement that suggests I have the means to support myself while I'm there. Is there really a problem of U.S. citizens slipping into Brazil looking for work?

So I am going back to embassy row on Monday with all the necessary paper work to try this again. So far I'm not impressed by Brazil.

No comments: