Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Chillin'

During my long bus ride I met several Isrealis on holiday after conscription. They were all heading to El Bolson, a hippie's paradise about two hours south of where I am now. The way they talked it up I almost hopped off the bus with them. Apparently there is very little in El Bolson, just farms to relax on and a lake and mountains to explore. But I needed to get some laundry done and I was really craving a big steak dinner. Plus I heard some of the best ice cream and chocolate can be found here in Bariloche. So I continued on. Though the Brit I was traveling with did bail.

Bariloche is nothing like a farm town. It is like a ski resort town - very built up with all sorts of little boutique shops and video stores. Fortunately I discovered this hostel(ish) way up on the mountain - seemingly miles removed from the hussle of the town below. Yesterday I had a much needed shower and took my pile of dirty clothes down the footpath to the laundry. Then I enjoyed a grande beer and just sat and stared at the lake and mountains. There was a U.S. photographer and his German girlfriend hanging outside and they invited me to join their dinner of Philly cheese steak sandwiches. I offered a bottle of wine and we watched the sun set and chatted well into the evening.

When they headed to bed, I found a group of four German guys chatting buy the window in the main room. I offered another bottle of wine and we chatted until 2am.

Today I am pulling out the books and the Spanish notebook and finding the hammock I swear I saw in a picture of this place. I may get frisky later and go look for the ice cream everyone is raving about. Then again, maybe that can wait until tomorrow. Right now I am happily digesting the home made bread that was laid out for breakfast. What a life.

2 comments:

DK in DC said...

so - I have a few corrections.
1 - they ar enot philly cheese steak sandwiches. Just Philly cheesesteaks (notice one owrd...

2 - you did not have a philly cheesesteak. You may have had a cheese steak or a steak sandwich - but I don't believe you can get Phily cheesesteaks anywhere except Philadelphia. And I would know :)

Sounds like you are having a blast. Looking forward to hearing all about it in a couple weeks.

P.S. I had NO IDEA your coworker needed oxygen on his trip. he left that out... He did however, tell me about your crying.

Dan 3 said...

Wait, I cried? Oh, during the tios vino session. Yeah, that was worth crying. In a grown man - love ya bro sorta way.