Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A Few More Random Thoughts

The U.S. embassy in Ecuador is next door to a McDonalds. I thought my cab driver was kidding when he pointed in that direction and said there is the U.S. embassy. Seems appropriate some how.

I make no new friends when I offer up a $20 bill to pay for a $2.45 meal. Most times some one has to go for change.

At a bakery in Otovalo we bought 35 large bread loaves for $2. My coworker and I joked that we could just buy the store and run it as our business. We decided I would sell crackers and he would sell brownies. This had us cracking up all afternoon.

Cab drivers here drive like 8-year-olds ski in the States. No fear what-so-ever.

I seem to be getting better and better at speaking Spanish in my class and worse and worse on the streets. How does that happen?

Every American I have met this far is traveling for 2-5 weeks. I always take pleasure in saying I am traveling for four months. Then today I met a girl from Cali who said she was traveling for 8 months. I´m not so smug any more.

I took four cabs today. It should have only been two. Either my spanish needs to improve or my knowledge of the city.

I heard an episode of Scrubs playing in the lounge at the hostal today. I immediately jumped in to watch. A group of Brits was watching and knew everyone´s name on the show. Who knew the show was so big outside of the U.S.?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Scrubs is popular, but Stargate SG1 seems to be the show that brings the world together now that Baywatch is gone.