Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Help Readers!

Bright and early Friday morning I am leaving Quito to fly to the Galapagos Islands. I won´t be coming back to Quito; just flying to Guayaquil and eventually moving on to Peru. Today is my last Spanish class. I purposefully left one free day to do whatever I want before departing Quito.

Here is where you, the reader, come in. I need you opinion. Those of you who have made comments in the past, thanks and please comment again here. Those of you that are enjoying, or killing part of your work day, reading this blog but haven´t had anything to say yet in the comments section, now´s your chance.

There are three options for tomorrow.

A) I can explore Quito and see everything I have missed, including:
The teleferiQo, a sky tran that takes riders 2.5kms up Pichincha Volcano where I can then do a three hour hike to the summit at (4700m). Supposed to be a brilliant view of the city.

The Monastery of Santa Catalina, a convent for nuns, full of paintings depicting virgins and saints watching over the fires of purgatory with sinners stretched on spiked wheels and sheep drinking from a river of blood flowing from the wounds of Jesus.

A Salsa class. It has been mentioned before that I can not dance. I will have the instructor take pics.

Parque la Carolina, which houses an orchid greenhouse, botanical garden, and reptile museum.

And if time allowes, a hike to the top of the towers of the gothic church.


OR

B) I can go mountain biking down Cotopaxi Volcano (check earlier blogs/pics). This is an all-day deal.
OR

C) Go two hours north to Termas de Papallacta, ecuador´s most luxurious and scenic thermal baths. This is an all-day deal too.

So please vote with your comments. A day exploring Quito, a bike down a volcano, or a day at the thermal baths. And vote early. I have to book the bike ride before the end of the day. I will check responses around 4pm.

Thanks!

And, and part 2 of the Baños weekend is still coming.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carrie said I had to comment! :) I say thermal baths excursion b/c I went to thermal baths in Iceland and LOVED it, and it sounds like a good all day experience. I'll email soon- have fun!! :)
Frenchie
ps: can't remember my "blogger" name- I'm horrible at this modern stuff!

Anonymous said...

Okay, definitely don't go running around Quito trying to see everything you missed. I get bored just thinking about that. The salsa lessons sound cool. Only thing is that’s something you could do back home. On the other hand, if you plan on dancing during the next few months that might be a good skill to have. I bet you can find salsa lessons in another city so I would hold off. The mountain biking sounds cool, but it also sounds like a lot of work. Considering the amount of hiking you’ll do on the Galapagos Islands I would skip this. I say relax on your final day. Go to the thermal spas and kick back in a nice bath. I hope this input helps.

Unknown said...

By the way, the previous comment was from Josh. For those of you who don't know I am very smart.

Anonymous said...

i say thermal baths, but i am a relaxation type of girl. although the mountain biking would be fun too. i think you should save your legs for later hiking.

dresser said...

Won't you be biking DOWN the mountain? Doesn't seem like that much work. I vote for the biking.

For those of you who don't know. Josh is only moderately smart.

LAY-ah said...

if it's down the mountain, don't you have to back UP? yeah, i say relax. it's not like you can take pics while careening down a volcano on a bike anyway. i agree with josh about the running around quito; there will be other city street scapes and muchas iglesias. was this too late? oops.

Unknown said...

Teleferico and Volcano hike are cool if it doesn't rain. Did it a couple of years ago when I was..in better shape...pretty hard to do but worth the view. You'll be drained. Biking seems like asking for trouble..specially if you are going downhill. Salsa lessons sound good...as long as its as intensive as your spanish class. I'm all for relaxing and preparing for the trip ahead, get some cigars (Quicentro Mall) your glasses, also at Quicentro...maybe some sun lotion and of course 6-10 mojitos at Coffee tree. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

sorry i didn't respond in time dan! i wasn in Texas