Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Random Thoughts on My Short Time in Brazil

Portugues is an odd sounding language that I never seemed to get. It`s hard to describe what it sounds like. Some people speak it and sound like Milla Jovovich`s character in The 5th Element. Others sound like the Swedish Chef from the Muppets. It`s sort of like a sexy mix of German and Spanish.

The buses in Brazil were so much better than Bolivia. More comfortable, smelled better, functioning tvs (and no reggaeton), bathrooms, and paved roads. But the cost is several times more.

I am finally finished with the high-altitudes portion of my trip. Thankfully.

I have entered the high-costs portion of my trip. Brazil was ridiculously expensive. The dollar trades at 1.78 to 1 but everything in Brazil is twice as expensive. So I didn´t end up saving any money. I have no idea how the people, who live on a minimum wage of $400 a month, survive with those prices.


I rode a horse. It was a bit scary. He liked to break into a gallop fairly often and I almost fell off three times. I am not that comfortable with horses. Nor did I think to wear thick pants for the ride. My legs were completely chafed the next day. And my arse felt like I had been in an American prison over-night.

Birds in the Pantanal sound like screaming kids. It`s annoying during the day and terrifying in the middle of the night when you are half awake.

My guide in the Pantanal described all the mosquitos there as a sort of water torture that weeds out the weak. I was slapping myself silly for five days.

I watched a dog hump a large pig there. Think about the results of that...

There are lots of obese people in Southern Brazil. I think it`s because of the heat. I just wanted to sit around and not do anything either.

Do you know the mother who ignores her screaming child as it bounces around public places annoying everyone? Both mother and child were on my bus out of the Pantanal.

Apparently giving a thumbs up in Brazil is the equivilant of saying "thanks".

No comments: