Saturday, January 19, 2008

Sleepy

I couldn´t get a train ticket to Brazil, and the bus cost too much for 26 hours on an unpaved road. So I bought a plane ticket. But the plane left at 4am so I had to be at the airport at 2am.

Problem: couldn´t find my yellow fever vaccination card. And the airline peeps weren´t going to let me on the plane without it. Brazil leans on them hard to not allow anyone into the country without it. I had looked all through my bags for it before I went to the airport, only to find a photcopy of it. No idea what I was going to do, I was asking a manager what options I had. There weren´t many. And then I pulled out my phrase dictionary to see how to say something in Spanish to help my case, and there it was. *whew*

On the plane I went. And I arrived in Brazil (an hour ahead of Bolivia - two hours ahead of the US east coast) at 6:45am. No one seems to speak English here so far. And I don´t know a lick of Portugues. I am finding if I talk in Spanish it gets me by. It´s difficult. Maybe I just need to go to bed for a bit...

No comments: