Thursday, December 20, 2007

I`ll Take the Physical Challenge

So I am in Puno, Pero. I made it. But it was quite a test. The hike into Colca Canyon (which our guide said was reestablished as the deepest canyon in the world last year) was easy. Into Colca Canyon. The hike out was tougher than the Inca trail. It was really tough. There were four of us: me and three Dutch (one gal, two guys). The Dutch gal finally had to call it quits and ride a passing mule the last fifth of the way up. The three guys were determined to make it, but cussing up a storm when we saw seven other backpackers who had rented mules instead of hiking up too. Then, instead of doing drinking games to celebrate like we planned the night before, we passed out at 7:50pm.

The trip to Puno was a bit more trying. When I told the tour company manager I needed to get to Puno by today, he said the guide could have me dropped off at a police check point when the others were returning. There I could have the police flag down a bus going the opposite direction. Easy enough. So this morning instead of doing the thermal baths with the other three, I asked if I could do the bus drop off thing a bit early. I wanted to get to Puno to see about my Visa to Bolivia. The guide said it was no problem and he put me on a bus and told the driver to let me know when we got to the check point. The driver did. I got off in the middle-of-no-where, Peru. I found the check point cop and told him the situation (as best I could in my ever-worsening spanish) and he informed me that because of Christmas most buses would be full. Awesome. He waved down bus after bus and asked if there was room. 45 minutes later he found one. I asked again if he was sure it was going to Puno. He nodded and waved me on.

An hour later I decided to ask the fellow beside me if the bus went to Puno. He said it did not. I asked again in case my spanish didn`t work the way I wanted it to. He repeated that the bus did not go to Puno. I asked where it went, he mentioned some name I didn`t recognize, and I had a mini-freakout. At the next bus stop I got off and asked the baggage handler where the bus was going. He mentioned the same name. I told him I needed to get to Puno. He gave me a look that said "good luck with that" and went on taking out people`s luggage. I asked what I should do. He said the destination city had collectivos that go to Puno for about 80 cents. Collectivos are cars that take several people with a common destination to that place once the car is full. There are also larger vans that do the same thing.

Once we arrived at this city, I hopped off and looked completely confused. This kid who was in a military academy in Lima, but coming home for the holidays, took pity on me and helped me find one of these vans. He was going to same way. I thanked him over and over. Then we chatted in spanish for a bit while we waited on the van to fill up.

I finally arrived here in Puno just before 5pm and took a bike taxi to the consulate. The guy peddling looked far too old to be doing so and I almost jumped out and told him to sit while I peddled. But we got to the consulate (or close enough to have two police officers walk me there) at 4:55. The consulate closed at 2pm.

Guess I am going tomorrow morning. But at least I am here. But damn do my legs ache.

3 comments:

dresser said...

Your first "adventure". I'm really impressed by the way you're making your way through South America, broken Spanish or no, you're still gettin' it done. Congrats and have a very Merry Christmas. I'll drink too much eggnog and cheers to you!

LAY-ah said...

reference to double dare = 5 points did you wish your climb out of the canyon ends with a twisty slide into a giant, albeit, fake ice cream sundae?!

Dan 3 said...

You caught the reference!