Sunday, December 9, 2007

What Was I Thinking?

Tomorrow morning at 5:30 I leave for my Inca trail hike to Machu Picchu. I have been in Cuzco now for four days and am still having problems breathing when I walk up a few steps. Cuzco`s elevation is over 2200 meters. I thought four days here would be enough to acclimate to the elevation. I thought wrong. And now I am going to hike for four days, at one point reaching 4200 meters? Why did I think I could do this? There is a train that takes tourists up there. Why didn`t I buy a ticket for that?

I am really nervous about this. My heart pounds every time I take a set of stairs. Ugh.

Anyway, I will be away from the blog until Friday when (if) I return to Cuzco for a day before heading south. I will catch the blog up to my time in Lima and Cuzco when (if) I return.

Hasta

3 comments:

Chip Chanko said...

Good luck on the climb. I'm sure people have done it without acclimating as much as you have so you'll probably be fine...and have a great time seeing something I've always wanted to!!!

Unknown said...

You'll be fine bro, pace yourself. See about getting some coca tea, and take some with you on the hike, maybe some leaves too. If the tea doesn't work, I'm sure the leaves will.

Bernardo said...

You already went up the TeleferiQo in Quito where you went up to 4050 meters in a couple of minutes. If you didn't faint then, you will be fine here.