Thursday, December 20, 2007

More Random Thoughts

It was just brought to my attention that the icecream truck tune the garbage trucks here in Peru make as they back up is Fur Elise by Beethoven. Sad.

Peru has a severe lack of toilet seats.

Two words most often heard when walking through any market: Hola Amigo

Word most often heard when exiting a bus at a tourist point: Agua

When being sociable or friendly on a bus by offering some of your food to others, offer only what you want to give. People will not take a "piece" of anything. They take whatever is in front of them.

Peruvian women wear their wedding ring on their right hand. Not the left.

An entire study could be done on the various Christian icons placed randomly inside buses in South America.

Peru is known to have great ceviche. I have yet to try any (except the soy dish early on). I have had plenty of Chinese food here though.

Christmas is in 5 days. I won`t be at home with my family for the first time in 30 years. And it is supposed to be 85 degrees where I am staying for Christmas.

I have yet to have anything stolen during my travels. I have, however, lost several things:
My jacket (amazingly, recovered at the tiny airport two days later)
My glasses (in a taxi)
My shoes (forgot to pack them at 5am before the Inca trail hike)
My pocket knife (at airport security in Lima - don`t worry wehmann, it was the smaller one I bought before your gift)
The bag for my rain jacket (some where along the Inca tail)
A pair of underwear (a casualty of laundry service in Cusco)

And I am not even at the half-way mark. I almost left behind my small pack this morning at a view point before one of the Dutch in the group grabbed it and brought it to me. That would have added my iPod, two cameras, and passport to the list.

No comments: