Saturday, December 1, 2007

Random Thoughts Before I Leave Ecuador

"The Tar Heels are off to a 7-0 start for the first time under Williams and the first time since the 1998-99 squad began the season 8-0." And I can`t find any of the games down here. Ugh!

People say it`s a small world. With some of the views I have seen here in Ecuador, I feel very small while the world seems huge.

Ecuador is a beautiful country. The landscape and the people are a treasure. Visit and spend some time here.

Latino time isn`t a U.S. phenomenon.

I never drink coffee in the States. I have it almost every day down here though. It doesn`t really taste any better (I`m guessing). But each day seems to beg time to just sit and have a cup. With lots of milk and sugar.

People here don`t seem to care if I am from the States. I get the same reaction as travelers from Canada, England, Germany, France. It`s humbling. But it also makes me feel good I am not getting a negative reaction.

I have resorted to wearing the same t-shirt a couple of days in a row. I tell myself it will cut down on my laundry. I make sure to do a sniff test first though.

I am paying $5 a night for a hostal room here in Loja, Ecuador. Five dollars. I almost argued that the Lonely Planet said it would be $4. I think I am hitting a new low in how cheap I am.

Those little devices on shower heads that supposedly warm up the water before releasing it in the cheaper hostals only turn the water from freezing cold to cold.

I am not looking forward to Peru`s money. I like being able to use dollars in a foreign country. It`s so easy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kick back and relax...have some coffee...maybe a cigar (do I need to bring some down) No Coffee Tree here.

Its polite to be late there...really it is.

As long as you look like someone they can take money from...it doesn't really matter where you are from.

Keep up the updates bro...and more pics..Cuenca? Loja? Did you have any problems going into Peru?

Dan 3 said...

yes, bring cigars. i`ll give you a list. i just bought a cuban last night for $10. ridiculous.

will post new blog entries in the next few days to catch up. guayaquil, cuenca, lima, border crossing. all the come!